Sunday, August 2, 2009

YOU HAVE TO GO AND SEE THE MUSIC WITH YOUR EARS


Nigel makes a good point. This season hasn’t had any standouts we’ve just liked people when they’ve lucked out with good numbers… oh except Kayla has had some good ones and I still despise her. Either way I'm still glued to this show every week so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Let's get to the dancing! Never before seen partners, Evan doing Broadway again (!), Jeanine doing hip hop again (!), and Kayla being Kayla... good times.


EVAN/OLDIE: Broadway


“I’m marrying a married woman.” And a scandalous one at that! I think a lacy sheer top and mini satin skirt would be frowned upon in most churches. Eh, no matter. I thought I would like this number more than I did. It looked like Oldie fumbled a few steps but the judges didn’t mention it, so maybe those were intentional moves. And Evan looked a little sloppy, but less so than Oldie. The funniest part during the critique was when Cat said “Okaaaaay” after Lil C finally stopped talking. AMEN CAT.

Oldie’s husband is a little annoying, right? Those signs are kind of lame. Maybe they’d be cute if I liked her… whatever. How come she hasn’t had a hip hop number yet? They claim she’s diverse but all her numbers have been roughly the same. On the other hand Jeanine has had hip hop almost every week. Hmm. UPDATE – during the elimination show she does mention that she did hip hop once during a group number… doesn’t count sista.

EVAN/OLDIE: Ballroom


Ha! Oldie is the Cloris Leachman of season 5. Awesome. This was better than when he partnered with Kayla. But he lucked out with a quicker dance, I do agree with the judges though it totally looked like they went into slow motion in the middle.

EVAN'S Solo
Could he get any cuter? I just want to pinch his little cheekies and give him a puppy. Face cheeks not bum cheeks.

OLDIE'S Solo
BORING. Yeah Oldie, just go out there and kick. Greeeeat.

ADE/JEANINE: Samba
“H-O-T, HOT” Well not quite but pretty close. Ade looked a step behind her the entire way. But Jeanine’s my favorite so of course she didn’t anything wrong. Of course. That dress looked so fun (even with the required 97% of her body exposed) - I would love to go grocery shopping and sashay down the aisles in that number. It’s rural Illinois, I’ve seen stranger. I do have to give a shout out to Louie for updating ballroom. If I want to see awkward stiff ballroom I’ll watch Dancing With The Stars, no thanks.

ADE/JEANINE: Hip Hop


Ummm… Nigel’s going THERE apparently, a stab at his wife’s divorce attorney? Ouch. As far as the dance goes I liked this. I think the Tab/Nap numbers have been a little weak this year. But I think it’s because they are consistently good so I’m expecting them to blow me away.

ADE'S Solo
It was good, but not as good as last week. Brandon is just a notch better AND he doesn’t wear a fro pick.

JEANINE'S Solo
Is it just me or does she look likes she dragging a bit? I can’t imagine how tired they must be. Still love her and hope she’s in the top 4. Besides Evan the rest have all the personality of toast.

BRANDON/KAYLA: Contemporary


Did we really need a dance about adultery? Anyway… so I really liked this. Using Nigel’s theory I think this may have saved these two for the top 4. Niiiice. I can’t believe I’m actually rooting for Kayla (even if is by default), I’m still bitter Bird Face is gone.

BRANDON/KAYLA: Disco


This was a little frantic. I like the routine itself, but I think Kayla looked a bit sloppy. They loved her, but there were at least 3 places she looked totally lost. Brandon is so good, I wish I liked him better.

Brad from the other room: “I think Mary’s voice just went into super sonic dog range. What is she talking about?” Oh Brad, exactly.

BRANDON'S Solo
Just when I was finally OVER this dance! Why did he do it again? He even wore the same costume - if black tighties can be considered a “costume.” It was still awesome, but still way over the top. And I GUESS he deserved the standing O for his solo. Whatever.

KAYLA'S Solo
Good enough. She totally copied Katee's hair and smiled like a fool, but she was still better than Oldie.

GROUP BOYS


These two group numbers were my favorite of the night. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again: Sonya does the best overall combo of music, costume, and choreo. These same sex numbers are sometimes a let down, but I loved this. There was this AWKward moment at the beginning when it looked like Evan and Brandon where going to kiss and I was like: Oh Sonya, you can’t go there sister. Then the moment was over and we were okay.

GROUP GIRLS


Sure Jeanine, that hit was totally an accident. Wink, wink. I didn’t get to see Nigel’s inappropriate comments about Jeanine’s – ahem – gifts. But from what I heard they were a tad inappropriate. He’s been a bit saucy this season, no? As for the dance, I liked this one too. Sonya’s on a roll!

ELIMINATION NIGHT
Uh oh, I hope Evan waving goodbye at the end of the group number wasn’t foreshadowing his demise. Looking beyond the creepy clown theme the choreography was good and it was danced well. I don’t even hate clowns like my sister does but it was still a little disturbing.

Jessica & Will – Oreo’s piece
I guess Jessica’s ribs healed and Will got some dreads, niiice. In other news this was good stuff. Yeah, last season ruled.

Katee & Twitch – Mia’s piece
I totally forgot you go here. Yeah I forgot 1: how fun that routine is. And 2: That they make out at the beginning. However, I did not forget how much I love Katee. Tear. I hate to say it though, did Twitch look a little out of it? Did he quit dancing after last season?

Chelsea & Joshua – Dimitri's piece
That was soooo good. Ahhh Josh and the tight pants and has Chelsea gotten better?

Chelsea & Mark
– Tab/Nap's piece
CHILLS. Every. Time. I’ll never get sick of this number, and they did it as good if not not better than last season. Brilliant.

TOP 2 GIRLS
Jeanine
Kayla

Come on even though Blondie is annoying she is good enough for the top 4… and really I’m just relieved it’s not Oldie

TOP 2 GUYS
Evan
Ade

I’m SHOCKED that Evan is moving on, but glad. And even though Ade’s fro pick totally took on a life of its own, I still liked him a lot. Oh well, Evan saved the top 4 from being dominated by the contemporaries and he's cute as a button.

I think we've got a pretty decent top 4 on our hands. Get excited!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

"I just want to pinch his little cheekies and give him a puppy. Face cheeks not bum cheeks."

Favorite thing you've ever written.

Agreed with everything, as always. Wish you were here to watch the finale with me :(

Steve said...

Like K, I agree with everything. (With the small exception of you saying at the end that Ade moved on....? Or was that you saying that he was your vote?)
Nigel has been very snippy this year and has said some things that made me uneasy (wife's lawyer comment not being the least of them). When you said that Jeanine has been dragging I couldn't help but think about my friend that thinks Jeanine has gained significant weight since the begining of the show. I'm not sure if that's even possible or if it's because she's wearing less and less clothing.