Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WHY DO ALL THE NICE GIRLS LOVE A NASTY BOY?

With Paula off Idol Mary is officially the craziest person on television. Let’s see what she has in store for us tonight… This is So You Think You Can blog blog blog.


Wade Robson Group Number

That was cute. I kinda wanted it to evolve into an entire musical where Brandon is the jerk jock and Evan is the loveable underdog and then Kayla and Jeanine byotch slap each other… anyway so yeah, dance… Brandon and Kayla stood out the most. Jeanine sista, you need to pick it up! I must quickly rant about the camera work though, when Brandon and Evan were dancing across the stage they kept changing the camera to the two girls NOT DANCING… I just wish they would leave the camera panned out sometimes. The finale is not the time to get artsy.

Jeanine & Evan - Sonya Number

I loved every part of this (especially the JLegend song). I wish Jeanine and Evan would have partnered more, I think they could have done some cool stuff together. Again, Jeanine is looking a little sluggish. The judges didn’t love this, but I still thought it was good.

Brandon & Kayla – Tasty Oreo Number

Did Tasty Oreo mix up his costumes with Sonya? There was a weird disconnect for me between the costumes, music and dancing. I thought they both did really well with the choreo they were given but they should have been dancing to an Imogene Heap song. SO not there fault though.

Brandon & Evan – Diddy’s Choreographer’s Number

First of all is she wearing biker gloves and headphones and red nails and spandex?

It’s true Brandon got down and dirtier but Evan’s “nasty” faces where so much more entertaining. And what’s the nastiest thing that Evan has ever done? I don’t know; maybe forget to send his Grandma a birthday card? Poor guy. I still really liked this. The fact that he is so innocent looking made this routine that much better. And look here I am talking about Evan and none of the attention is on Brandon. Exactly. He may have danced it better but everyone will remember Evan from this.

PS - Good story about this song. Somewhere there is a tape of me and my childhood best friends Chloe and Michelle rollerblading a choreographed routine to this song. That we did ourselves. And made our parents pay to watch in the basement. CLASSIC.

Kayla & Jeanine – Mia’s Number

It’s too bad that Jeanine has some trouble with the outfit because I thought beside that she out danced Kayla. I think this could have been a bit more dynamic, but I still liked it.

(Kristin, Kayla is totally playing the Am I Smiling game, right? And she’s losing miserably because she thinks she’s fooling us.)

Evan & Kayla – Melanie & Tony Number

Finally! Evan gets a kiss. It was from Kayla, but oh well. I really liked Evan in this but Kayla looked a bit hunched and hurried. I didn’t think she stole the show at all. Whatever Mary. And holy crap! The audience chanting his name, so cute when he teared up.

Jeanine & Brandon – Louie’s Number

People I think this is your final two (I typed this before Nigel said it). That was quite the intense dance and I have to say I’m a fan. They were both strong enough to pull off the character and the steps. Good work kids. But okaaaaay Nigel we all get that you think Jeanine’s hot but calm it down man. You’re like 50 years older than her. Yuck.

Also, I feel a bit dumb bringing this up but Steve mentioned in the comments of the last post that it looks like Jeanine has gained weight. Which I agree but she’s still like a size 2, right? I mean it’s not like her pas de deux partner is gonna need a crane to lift her.

SOLOS

Brandon – Okay so that was crazy amazing, but Brandon, honey, pick DIFFERENT MUSIC. I can’t take you seriously when you are taking yourself serious enough for all of us.

Evan – I’m so glad that Evan cut his hair from last season, I forgot how long it was before. I’m excited for Ryan next season, but do you really think they’ll put almost the exact same dancer in the top 20 again? He has a huge following, but I think maybe not… As for Evan’s solo, it was not as good as some of his others. Too bad. But it doesn’t really matter at this point.

Kayla I’m not just a dancer, I’m also a performer. Lame. And cheap shot using the song from the amazing Niel & Sabra routine. Seriously though, I was eating peach cobbler while she danced and the cobbler got me distracted so I didn't even watching her. Oops. Oh, well.

My mom wants to know why we hate Kayla (by WE meaning K, J, and I). Well Nigel summarized it well. He basically said she’s had no personality this season but is technically good. That’s our beef. She’s like the stepford wife of So Can Dance. A robot who dances well but says stuff like, “I loooove to act and model and dye my hair and have perfectly pale skin.” It’s not catty it’s the truth, we never said she was a bad dancer. But I much prefer Jeanine’s missteps and annoying laugh and big teeth. See the difference? So much more fun.

Jeanine What the folk? I love that she said she freaked out before going on stage for the folk dance because of the COSTUME. And during the Travis Wall number, a non choreographed smooch from Jason? That rascal! I knew it! I’m glad she had a strong solo - I feel a lot better.

In case you're wondering, in an otherwise blah season this is how I feel...


Tomorrow night I'm hoping we see the Addiction piece and the Crash Test Dummies piece (Bird Face!). Those were my favorites of the season.

UPDATE: Go here to view all the dances from last night. Go here to read a very long article from a fan who was in the audience yesterday, he/she got to talk to the judges and dancers after the show and Brandon admitted that the judges actually watch the solos during rehearsals and offer feedback. Interesting!

5 comments:

carly said...

So I don't know if you remember me, I was in your ward in Utah. I will admit I have read all you 'So Can Dance' reviews. I am with you on some of the things you said tonight. SO SICK of Blondie. She is SO typical. I feel like I danced with a million girls just like her. My votes went to Jeanine tonight too, I hope she comes out on top.

I want to see the same dances plus Travis' again.

Kjell Crowe said...

I agree! Go Jeanine!!!

And yes, Kayla annoys the $h!T out of me.

Kim Gardner said...

Two things:
1. What do you think Jeanine's stomach would look like with clothes on? I mean she's my fave, but it's one of those tree falling in the forest type questions.
2. Didn't Kayla say that she would be a model if she weren't on the show? Those are automatic grounds for hatred. Every time she answers those questions it's like she's channeling Regina George.

jenny said...

Kjell's comment made me L-O-L.

And what are you talking about? Technically good? I think she technically sucks. Don't insult me Bridget. Have you watched her dance? She is SO AWKWARD. I've liked ONE dance all season and that is her addiction dance. And that's just because she lucked out with good choreography. I honestly hate her. So much. To quote Clue.."Flaaames"

Kristin said...

Um, Kim Gardner? Where have you BEEN all my life?

Okay, I need to straighten this out. I agree, Kayla has NO personality, or rather the personality she has bugs the crap out of me. She thinks she's the best and she's constantly trying to act like she doesn't think she's the best. She's so fake. But more than that, I hate that the judges so shamelessly try to shove her down our throats with their constant praise. And spot on, she's totally playing Am I Smiling.

I'm starting to get carried away here so I'll quit now. I totally voted, btw. First time ever! Go Jeanine!