Tuesday, August 4, 2009

HARRY POTTER 6, A HISTORY


Brad and I started the week attempting to watch all the H-Pott films in order. Yeah that didn’t happen. We watch all of 1, then parts of 3, then ¾ of 4, then skimmed through 5. I feel like I owe it to H-Pott, but we just couldn’t make it happen.

I did stay up late the night before making t-shirts. I had a really hard time coming up with something that was clever but not obvious. I think I failed on both accounts... but what can you do? What follows is a play-by-pay of "opening day."


8:54am – Skimmed a few reviews, it sounds like this thing is going to be a bit less dark and funny and all the reviews I’ve seen have been positive. I hate to say it but I like the dark, and Funny Hermione usually doesn’t work… We’ll have to see.

…more stuff…

8:00pm – We walk out the door and went over the usual “Got the keys? Wallet? Tickets?” Then I said “You know we should just make sure the movie really starts at midnight.” And what do you know, as soon as we look at the tickets we notice the time is correct but - What’s this about July 15th? “Wait, what is today’s date?” “At midnight it will be July 17th.” “Awesome, we are two days late.” There was wailing and gnashing of teeth mostly in my direction because it’s an unspoken rule that I take the reigns in this department… oops. So I called the theater manager and pleaded for him to at least give us a partial refund and what do you know, we aren’t the only idiots in America. He quickly understood our dilemma and offered to give us vouchers. We ended up going to the 10:50 showing that night. I wore my shirt, Brad did not. Good times were had by all. BUT we missed out on the mayhem of opening night, the Harry look-a-likes, the nerdy spell casting, and the Dumbledores and Hermiones dueling each other trivia style. Boo. I was disappointed.


So I’m sorry to disappoint but I don’t actually have a Harry Potter 6 play-by-play. But I do have my random impressions and thoughts compiled in to a weak sauce review. That’s just as good, right? Enjoy.

REVIEW *spoiler alert, read at your own risk*
I learned long ago that books ruin movies, so it’s been at least 3 years since I read this. As a Harry Potter fan not totally immerged in the books I really enjoyed this. Brad didn’t as much, but he doesn’t write the blog so his opinion doesn’t count. Here were my thoughts.

- I loved the mood of this movie, ie: the filming, the score, the monochrome, the special effects… this is exactly how Twilight should have been filmed.
- I thought they could have explained the horcruxes a little better because DUDE the next two movies will be entirely about them.
- I honestly liked how the romance was played up a bit more. While reading the books that’s the one complaint I had. I saw Ron and Hermione getting together since book 3 and having to wait until the last 200 pages of book 7 was Ridikulus indeed.
- I thought burning down the Weasley’s house was such a weird thing to add to the movie, but they needed a quick way to show how evil Bellatrix and Greyback were and also to give the big impression that they were after not only Harry but everything he loves.
- I thought Draco was fabulous, for the first time I wanted more of him in the movie.
- The biggest improvement they could have made to the movie was adding the battle to the end. All of a sudden they walk in and kill Dumbledore? It looked too easy. Don’t worry I still bawled my eyes out when he died.
- I hope with the next movie they add more of Snape’s history, because learning about Snape you get to learn about Lily and James.

Next time we won't miss opening night... well we'll try.

1 comment:

jenny said...

"this is exactly how Twilight should have been filmed."

I.can't. be.lieve. you.would.say.some.thing.like.this.

You sicken me.