Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolute

Remember back in the day how we would write out a LIST of stuff to improve on each New Year? A List?! Waaayyy too intimidating. Even if you accomplish half the stuff you write down then you’re still left feeling disheartened that you didn’t do the others. My resolution credo? Pick one and make it relatively easy. Leave that list stuff to shopping. I know this philosophy works because last year my one resolution was to read more books. Twelve exactly. I was running a book club at the time and I figured it would be safe to say I was going to read one book a month in 2008. So it wasn’t so much a resolution as merely a fact of future endeavors. Well it turned out that the book club only lasted until March - BUT - I still managed to read 25 books. I know, I know, I’m awesome. Don’t rush to fill my “remarks” sections with praise. In actuality I moved half way across the country where I have no friends, family or television and I visit the library about twice a week. So the truth is out, I’m not actually awesome, but really rather boring. Oh well, maybe I’ll resolve to be more awesome in 2009. If you’re interested my favorite books of the year were Hunger Games, Pride and Prejudice, The Glass Castle, Kite Runner, and The Devil in the White City. This year I defiantly won’t have to make a resolution to read more, I have 17 on my to-read list. Even though I grew up in a family of avid readers, it took me 25 years to figure it all out, man did I wasted a lot of time not paying attention in AP English.

So what is my resolution for 2009? Well that’s the other part of my credo: Pick one, make it relatively easy and don’t tell anyone about it. That way you can stew in your own guilt as opposed to casually hearing from Brad, “What ever happened to your resolution to be more on time?”

HAPPY NEW YEARS! Here’s to making an easy secret Resolution meant only to make you feel better about yourself!
...

1 comment:

jenny said...

I don't think I've read 25 books. Period.