Tuesday, December 16, 2008

These Christmas tunes? Yes, please!

This is by no means a difinitive Christmas list, just the ones I would never change the station on or skip on my iPod. Just your run of the mill all time favorites. You know, to balance out the universe from the Worse Christmas Song List.
...
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Judy Garland {I would venture to say this is the most recorded Christmas song ever. But, sometimes I’m a purest. There are a handful of good versions, but none come even close to the original.}

White Christmas – Bing Crosby {No explanation needed. There is a reason this is the best-selling song of all time.}

Silver Bells – Frank Sinatra {City sidewalks, busy sidewalks. Dressed in holiday style, In the air there's a feeling of Christmas. It’s just not Christmas until I’ve heard those lines. AND it’s Frank, come on.}

Last Christmas – Wham {For 25 blissful days Wham is cool again. I love it.}

Let It Snow – Michael Buble {The scatting he adds is awesome.}

Auld Lang Syne – James Taylor {Best recording of this song. Ever.}

Christmas Song – Nat King Cole {This song IS Christmas to me. It's also in the name. Apparently they didn't want any confusion on the matter.}

All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey {If anyone else sings this song it’s super cheesy. These two were made for each other. She should have married this song instead of that 20 year old kid.}

Come Home For Christmas – Aaron Neville {It’s a sad song but it wierdly always puts me in the Christmas mood. PS - Is there a more distinct voice then Aaron Neville? …Cotton, the fabric of our lives.}

Cool Yule – Louis Armstrong {Louis just makes me happy, especially with this song, how could you not feel all Christmasy listening to this song? Yes, Christmasy is a word. Just like Christmas-ish and Christmasier.}

Carol of the Bells – really any boys choir/ MOTAB {I was obsessed with this song when I was little, I didn’t know any of the words so I just made up sounds to go along with the melody. I still do it. Good times.}

Run Rudolph Run – Chuck Berry {This always reminds me of the scene in Home Alone where they are running through the airport, definitely a very Christmasy experience.}

Christmas Waltz – The Carpenters {Because it’s Karen’s voice. It's amazing. Side note - someone needs to change the title to this song. As Ben Stone would say, "Whose clue was that? It's not very... it's. not. good."}

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – Ella Fitzgerald {I don’t like any other version of this song, that includes you The Boss. Ella makes it all jazzy and cool sounding.}

3 comments:

Kristin said...

EXCELLENT list. I'm so glad you included Last Christmas. I have an almost inappropriate love for that song. I also love River, even though it's not overwhelmingly Christmasy.

As more traditional Christmas songs go, I really love O Come, O Come Emmanuel and I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. Also, this year I discovered Motab's Whence is that Goodly Fragrance Flowing? and I am OBSESSED with it. Let's just say it's the new Dancin in the Moonlight.

jenny said...

VERY good list. Kristin has some new ones. And it's true. She IS obsessed whist that motab whence diddy. I miss you bridgerrrrrr magooooo

-jub tub

Tod said...

I would have to say the best christmas song is "Grown up Christmas List" by michael buble. I agree with all of your others