Tuesday, December 9, 2008

These Christmas tunes? No thanks.

Okay. I’m only doing this in response to Ellie’s blog, to show her what a real Hated Christmas Songs list looks like. Actually, you shouldn’t trust me. I own and know every word and harmony to the “Osmond Family Christmas” album. I proudly hang my head in shame because it’s amazing (Pine Cones & Holy Berries!). You’ve been warned; don’t rely on my taste in Christmas music.

Christmas Through Your Eyes – Gloria Estafan {I’m sorry Gloria. I love you. Hate your music. Combine that summery Cuban style with Christmas and it’s all wrong. Plus the lyrics of this song are terribly sappy and repetitive.}

A Few of My Favorite Things – {The phrase “packages tied up with string” does not a Christmas song make. Please stop the madness. You are ruining a classic musical number. Why would anyone want to re-record a Julie Andrews number anyway? Like they could do better.}

Silver & Gold – {Shudder. What is this song about exactly? All I know is I can’t change the station fast enough. It’s the exact affect the M.A.S.H theme has. If those two songs were somehow combined I’m sure the world would implode.}

Mary Did You Know? – Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd {I’ve actually heard good versions of this song. Kenny and Wynonna’s version is definitely not one of them. I also take issues with the lyrics. Why exactly are we questioning the mother of Christ? I’m pretty sure she saw an angel. She knows. She’s got it covered.}

Breath of Heaven – Sung in an LDS church. (So bothersome!... I have my reasons.}

Christmas Shoes – Newsong {I haven’t heard it here in St. Louis but in Utah they play it at least twice an hour. It’s practically a Lifetime movie set to music, and that’s an insult to Lifetime movies. I can’t even listen to it past the first line.}

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer – {This was funny to 5 year-old Bridget, the 20 years since have been ridiculously painful. Why is it ok to sing/joke about death near Christmas? Is it too taboo for Easter so we had to pick another holiday?}

Let There Be Peace On Earth – {My hatred of this song stems from singing it in the school choir for 10 years straight. Someone should start writing more PC Christmas tunes or our great-grandchildren are doomed to sing this song 50 years from now.}

Christmas (W)rapping – The Waitresses {I’m sorry. The entire song is sung flat. It literally hurts my ears.}

Santa Baby – {When I was kid I was horrified that Santa had a mistress and that she was audacious enough to write a song about all her material demands. I don’t know why I viewed the song this way, but I’m still scarred.}

Brad’s addition: Little Drummer Boy – {I asked Brad if there was a specific version he hated and he said “All of them, I hate that rump pa pum rum”.}

What did I forget?

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Great list. HATE Breath of Heaven. With the fire of a thousand suns.

There is one Christmas song that I hate above all others. I hear one bar of it and it's in my head for ten hours. Funny thing, though, I can't think of it right now. I've managed to block it so far this year, and I've been carefully limiting my Christmas music intake this year.

Nicole said...

I also have issues with the "rump pa pum rum". But it reminds me of Angela from The Office singing it at the Christmas party so I laugh instead of cringe. I don't know most of the other songs you listed but I do know that there are probably more Christmas songs that I can't handle than ones that I like!

Kristin said...

Alas, after reading your blog, I went to see the inspiration on Ellie's, and now I remember. Simply ... having ... a wonderful Christmas time!

Thanks, Ellie. It's going to be a long night.

Kjell Crowe said...

oh wow...you it them all on the nose!
THe christmas shoe one I absolutely hate, and gloria just has an awful voice to begin with, and the Sound of Music one...come on!!! that's not a christmas song.
Mary did you know....yeah, have always disliked it.
I was just wondering the other day what the drummer boy song was all about it. You want to hate even more? Listen to jessica simpson sing. OH DEAR!!!!! You'll cringe.

Have to admit...I do like breath of heaven. But only when Amy Grant sings it.
good list though

jenny said...

Simply having a wonderful Christmas time.

WORST. SONG. EVER

Tod said...

Finally somebody else who dislikes "Mary Did You Know?" Of course she knew! Thank you for echoing my voice.

ashley said...

I like Breath of Heaven, but I do hate it sung in church. It's ridiculous. Singing Amy Grant in church is never ok. Didn't someone sing it our freshman year? I said the same thing to Sam just the other day about My Favorite Things when I heard it in the car. It's bogus.