Friday, June 5, 2009

SO CAN DANCE: NUMBEROLOGY

Top 20 in the hizzouse! We are contemporary heavy this year, but not light on awesomeness. I’m liking the boys so far, but we shall see… in the meantime let’s break down the Top 20, NUMBERS STYLE.

(via:: SYTYCDism)

Contemporary:: 11
Ballroom:: 4
Jazz:: 3
Lyrical:: 2
Ballet:: 1
Hip Hop:: 1
Popper:: 1
Broadway:: 1
(if the numbers seem off it’s because some people specialize in more than one style)

Oldest Competitor:: 29
Youngest Competitor:: 18

Number of states represented:: 11
Number of non-US countries represented:: 2 (Russia, Haiti)
Number of people from Utah:: 1 (Jazz-er Randi Evans is from Orem and currently going to UVSC or UVU whatever you want to call it)
Number of people from the most-represented state, Florida:: 4
Number of people from Texas:: 1 (Phillip Chbeeb now lives in California, I’m the most worried about this guy. Yes, he can pop like crazy but otherwise I think he got by on personality… or possible his lips, is it just me or are those things widly distracting?)

Number of girls that specialize in hip-hop:: 0
Number of breakdancers competing:: 0

Favorite quotes this week:: 1 ("You know what really sucks about getting eliminated? Knowing my whole school is watching." -unnamed girl getting the boot.)

Number of First Impression Roses I’m giving out today:: 2 (which isn’t fair because it felt like I’d never seen a few of the people they let in to the top 20, but who cares about fairness)


1. Evan Kasprzak
I loved him last season and thought he totally got robbed out of the top 20. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a guy who can pull off suspenders. Oh, and Broadway. The Broadway! Need I say more?

(via:: SYTYCDism)

2. Randi Evans
Before I knew she was from Utah, I liked her. I thought the bit about her COMMITTING to her unitards was hilarious, and how cute was her laugh? (I would have posted her official So Can Dance head shot but it's awful.)

(via:: mim)

Number of people I feel were robbed of the top 20:: At least 10 (but what can you do?).

I loved ballet dancer Alex Wong all through Vegas week, but it’s too bad he’s under contract at an amazing ballet company. I wonder who wouldn’t have made it if Alex would have been allowed to participate? Also, I’ve read a few blogs that hate on Alex because he’s already a professional. Here’s my take - this show isn’t necissarily about untrained, untapped performers like Idol. I think it’s far more unlikely to have a self-trained dancer than a self-trained singer. So Can Dance is simply about finding the best/most likeable dancer.

Number of reasons I’m excited for next week:: 3 (We find out the partners. And we’ll see if Tabitha and Napoleon choreographed a number for the first show. And finally, I’ll complete The Creation of the Nicknames. I am awful at remembering people’s names so I make up my own. So far I have: Orphan, Bad Hair, Unitard and Cartoon Lips)

Number of minutes I wasted researching and writing this post:: too ashamed to admit

5 comments:

Kjell Crowe said...

love it!

jenny said...

Matt and I peed our pants at the "You know what really sucks about getting eliminated? Knowing my whole school is watching" comment.

Matt calls Debbie Allen, "Mother Earth" . Best nickname. Ever. Is it bad that the only thing I associate her with is the being the party planner in Blank Check?

I knew Randi was from Utah before she knew she was from Utah.
I've seen that hair a hunnerd times.

My favorites: broadway. love him. Sad the baldie didn't make it. Sad redhead katee's roomie didn't make it. Sad ballet cooper neilson didn't make it. Didn't you feel like they pretty much guaranteed a lot of people spots next year? There won't even be tryouts at the rate they handed out, "no seriously come back next year" 's.

But yeah. Love broadway. And I love Zoey (blonde chick with bangs) She looks like Noel's girfriend. So, please call her Zoey. I really want her to do well. She's not very good. At all. But I like her.

I could have just blogged this. I wish we could watch together!!!

jenny said...

And can I just say thanks for blogging. Yours is the only blog I can count on these days.

ashley said...

I was SO TICKED at the show on Wed when they didn't let Natalie dance for her life. BOO! So far a good season though!

Kristin said...

A to the MEN. So glad So Can Dance is back in my life. Thoughts: I Heart Broadway. He's adorable. I also love Tabitha and Napoleon. Sonja is crazy. I was so mad they kicked Natalie off without even letting her dance for her life. That was just weird. I loved Alex Wong. I'm sad he didn't make it, although it sounds like he's in for next season. I think Chbeeb is sort of overrated. I can't make up my mind on Larocco or whatever his name is that did the solo with all the pictures of Nigel. He went from being too cool for school to like sobbing uncontrollably about dance in the course of one episode.

Anyway, that was so unorganized. Whatev. Can't wait for the performances to start!