Friday, June 19, 2009

THE ONE WHERE AMERICA IS CRAZY AND THE JUDGES GOT IT WRONG

It’s official for seven-ish more weeks this will be a So Can Dance blog. Get used to it. But I’ll try to limit my posting to Friday morning re-caps. And while we’re at it, other things you should get used to: Center Stage references and quotes, long ramblings, outrage at insignificant things, and snarkyness.

ARE YOU GUYS ALL WARMED UP?

***All around I think the judges were a little off on Wednesday, I’m pretty sure this was their conversation after last week’s show: So we’ve got to throw Orphan a bone or we are going straight to hell, I mean come on, he doesn’t have any parents. Now Blondie is perky and her hair shines brighter than the sun so she’s definitely the one we want to win; lets dole out more outrageously undeserved comments and America will LOVE HER. Guys, I think we might be going a little too easy on Broadway, let’s throw in some specific critique to make ourselves look legit. Now Cartoon Lips has street cred and we don’t want to loose that, so we’ll compliment his partner a lot and then BS our way around telling him he’s awful. Okay, so we don’t want to be ageists or racists or bigots so we can’t say anything too awful about those contestants. Who’s left? Bird Face? Okay, we’ll send her home next week. Done and done.

***Kristin just texted me the money maker quote of the night: “A lack of confidence is the heaviest anchor you can put on your art.” Anytime your quotes can be flawlessly inserted into any scene in Center Stage you have got some issues. Lil C, calm down man. I do not underestimate your intelligence, I get it, you are a SERIOUS ARTIST. Now go back to writing your thesis or whatever it is you do. I don’t know your life. I liked how he graciously laughed at the relay of clips last night, but I still don’t think he really understands his own ridiculousness. (UPDATE - see Jenny's blog for a collection of his quotes.)



***Conspiracy Theory Alert: Cartoon Lips and Blah Blah were both affiliated with the America’s Best Dance Crew (ABDC). Which is American Idol judge Randy Jackson’s show. A show Shane Sparks is a judge on. Nigel Lythgoe is the former producer of American Idol and current judge/creator of So Can Dance. Now Cartoon Lips and Blah Blah are both on So Can Dance, and Shane Sparks is coincidentally back this season. Also, Hok and Dominic (season 3 alums) were on ABDC after they were on So Can Dance. The mind boggles at the connections; a little nepotiz (even though that’s not really what that means)??

***Is anyone else concerned that Mia Michaels is no where to be seen? I guess she did the group number last night, but otherwise has anyone actually seen her face since Vegas? Side note – the use of the Center Stage song in the group number felt right on cue after all our quoting this week.

***My favorite quote: “How handsome I am, and she’s not attracted to me.” Oh Orphan, I’m not sure what that means but, okay. (K and Ash – it reminded me of “What do you mean in your words?”).

***The “Things America doesn’t know about my partner that I don’t know either but I’ll pretend I do so America thinks we are SUPER close” segment was strange. The only person who came off looking better is Aladdin. Did you see that MJ impression? Brad and I re-watched it about 50 times.

WHATEVER YOU FEEL, JUST DANCE IT

***Carlton/ Cha Cha - Okay guys, was my screen blurry or was the disco number sort of awesome? I usually hate the disco numbers. And Carlton is growing on me. I’ve had issues getting over the O’ Fortuna dance but I think I’m getting there. Cha-cha (her new nickname in my book) is not helping herself; she clearly wants Carlton’s body in a desperate non-cute way.

***Five-O/Bird Face – Wow they really dissed them. I kind of liked it. I agree Bird Face was far better than Five-O, but does anyone remember the painfully awful hip-hop attempted by Tall Guy Matt last year? When he wore the white dew-rag/hat combo? That weren’t even that harsh to him.



***Russian A/Blondie – Holy Moses McGee. What the crap was that? I know they don’t pick their wardrobes or choreography but that was bizarre. It didn’t even look like they were dancing. I expected them to start singing opera. Blondie is this year’s Will. She could kill puppies on stage and they would claim “genius,” and they hate on Russian A just like Will’s partner last year (who couldn’t finish the season due to a mysterious broken rib… or ego).

ELIMINATIONARY

***America is crazy. That was almost the worst combo of bottom three couples ever.

***Russian A getting the boot? Alright, I’ll take that. There was no warm spot in my heart for him. But BIRD FACE! After the show on Wednesday she was officially my favorite, and now the judges have gone and made me hate 99% of the girls (instead of 90%). Ruby should have gone. Hands down.

BREAK IT DOWN NOW



***I’m Picking Up What You’re Throwing Down
Unitard/Broadway
Five-O/Bird Face
Carlton/Cha Cha

***Doing Nothing For Me, But Not Awful
Fro Pick/Oldie
Aladdin/Ruby
Cool Asian/Orphan

***Should Be Voted Off the Island
Russian A/Blondie
Fabian/Blah Blah
Cartoon Lips/Emmy Rossum

***Who SHOULD go home: Cartoon Lips & Blah Blah

***Who I WANT gone: Cool Asian & Fabian

***Who ACTUALLY got kicked to the curb: Bird Face & Russian A

4 comments:

jenny said...

"Blondie is this year’s Will. She could kill puppies on stage and they would claim “genius,”"

^ Could not agree more. I hated Will. He was so cocky and this is completely accurate. I'm so glad she was in the bottom.

Also, I am upset to see BirdFace go. I LOVED her. And I loved that hip hop. Watch it again. It was really good. Way better than a lot of other stuff.

Kristin said...

Best. Recap. Ever. I am still mourning, so I'll post a proper comment once I've gotten over Ashley's departure. I'm seriously bummed. It made me hate all the girls, except Unitard.

Scott said...

Thursday was so sad. I loved Ashley too. And I loved Wade's crash dummy number and loved HER in the hip hop. Although I will admit the end fell apart. That's not so much her fault though as it is Sparks and her partner. But as much as I liked her, her solo wasn't that great. I kinda hate that they do solos because 99% of the time all they do is trick after trick after trick. It bothers me.

Oh and also, this is Nicole. Scott would never give as awesome as critiques as me!

ashley said...

Everyone else has made all my points. Ashley rocked.

What do you do for some fun?