Sunday, June 21, 2009

CAHOKI-WHAT?

The Cahokia Mounds are the largest prehistoric earthen construction in the Americas (thanks Wikipedia). They are also just 20 minutes from Alton. Basically this huge Indian civilization built up these mounds of clay/dirt/whatev around 1050 CE. They built a big one for their ruler and 120 smaller mounds around their six mile city for other officials. Over the last 100-ish years they've discovered tons of artifacts and its since become a state, national, and world historic site. Their visitors center/museum is pretty sweet. Brad and I opted to take a tour with the most long-winded and dry guide on the planet. Our group of 10 people could not have been happier when it was over. He did tell us some rad stories about how before it was a historic site the city built a drive-in theater over their ancient burial ground, but cool stories or not next time we'd probably go it alone. Other than the tour we had a great time.

These are the bronze doors into the visitors center/museum, this picture does not do it justice, they were amazing.


This is the biggest mound, Monks Mound, it's hand made and about 100 feet tall


You can see the St. Louis arch from the top of Monks Mound.
These flowery weeds are ALL OVER St. Louis and Southern Illinois, they are interesting but I have no idea what they are.

I was going for "Native Warrior" but I'm pretty sure I'm doing "BYU Cougarette", I would never have made it as an Indian.



We had a good time getting our culture on and after a few hours when Brad gave me the "I'm ready to go home" face, I obliged.

1 comment:

Kristen Miner said...

Dang! You have one buff arm!