Monday, February 9, 2009

THOUGHTS ON THE GRAMMYS

- I love the songs they choose to introduce the presenters. Like when Blink 182 came out and they used a song that was released 10 years ago. Nothing says “we are still relative” like playing a decade old hit from a time when the Jonas Bros where in diapers.

- Do you think that Stevie Wonder knows who the Jonas Brothers are? Or do you think he probably thought “Hey, these are decent backup singers”. Yeah, me too.

- How cute was it when Kate Beckinsale covered her daughter’s ears when Craig Ferguson made a questionably appropriate joke? So cute.

- Wow. Katy Perry is not great live. Yikes.

- I think the Grammys sole purpose was to try and convince me to like Sugarland. I’m not sure why I dislike them, I think it’s their name and their over use of the country twang. But I’ll have to investigate them further because their acceptance speech, performance and pairing with Adele were all excellent.

- I'm pretty sure I’m the only person who does not get Lil Wayne. Are we all listening to the same person? I can not listen to more than 2 seconds of him. It’s like the inexplicable love people have for Shakira. Why does no one else besides Kristin and Ashley agree that she has a HORRIBLE voice?

- MIA chick. Dude you are pregnant, what are you doing at the Grammys? Also, I don’t know I if would have chosen exactly that outfit.

- Kanye. No to the Mullet. TI. Yes to everything.

- I actually hate the Foo Fighters but when they played “I Saw Her Standing There” with Paul McCartney they were my favorite band for about 3 minutes.

- The USC marching band with Radiohead? Awesome. All those nerds about to get really popular.

- Alison Krauss is perilously close to becoming the Elijah Wood of the music world. I’m pretty sure she’s younger now than she was 15 years ago.

- And finally, Justin Timberlake. Confession. My roommates and I taped the Billboard Music Awards in 2002 when we were freshman at BYU and kept that tape for at least 5 years so we could pull it out and watch an NSYNC performance of Gone any time we wanted. JT is that good live. Needless to say his Grammys performance shows he's still got it. For old time sakes here he is in his former glory.


7 comments:

Kjell Crowe said...

i hate Shakira. her voice is awful.

Nicole said...

i love jt too! it's so teeny-bopper but cannot be helped! also, i love your banner that mustache pic is amazing!

Kristin said...

Congratulations, you made me totally regret not watching the Grammys. And really miss watching awards shows with you:)

jenny said...

Oh my gosh. Your re-cap was fantastic. I started loving Sugarland when they performed Beyonce's Irreplacable. Fantastic. Youtube it. You won't be sorry.

I agree 100% with your comment about TI. OW OW.

And Alison Krauss does not age. I have been saying this for years. I freaking love her though. Unlike Elijah.

jenny said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-JgJRtXP1g

ashley said...

I love Sugarland!! Definitely investigate them further. I think she has such a great voice. She sang that with just ONE guitar! Good recap!

ashley said...

PS-Shakira and I have the same birthday