Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MY FAVORITE CONVERSATION

Sometimes Brad and I marvel at our similarities. We laugh at the same parts of a movie that no one else finds funny. We can easily polish off a jar of Nutella in less than 24 hours. We love making fun of Al Gore. We find it impossible to fall asleep before midnight. And a mini-marathon of Arrested Development is our idea of a Friday night.

Where we find our swift divergence is music. I make fun of him for liking Metal and he mocks my preference for “pretentious” Indie music. Over the years we have managed to establish our common audible ground in Michael Buble, Jack Johnson, Frank Sinatra, jazz stations, talk radio, and Harry Potter on CD. But after a while these can get a bit tiring, so occasionally I would mix in a few of my personal favorites. Seeing Brad’s obvious enjoyment I would casually ask, “This is a good song, right?” to which he would suspiciously respond, “Why do you ask? Is it Death Cab For Cutie?” to which I would say, “Yes, and I saw you humming along.” He would then scowl and demand a song change because he can not endorse a band that has “Death Cab” in its name.

Well, a few weeks ago Brad sheepishly whispered to me:

Brad: I have a secret to tell you
Bridget: Okay.
Brad: I realized today that I actually like Death Cab For Cutie.
Bridget: Really? I already knew.
Brad: I know. I just had to tell you.

(Image from Wikipedia)

This has since been added to our common ground rotation. I guess sometimes marriage is about brainwashing your spouse into submission. Just don’t tell Brad that I have two Metallica songs on my Ipod that I don’t normally skip.

5 comments:

jenny said...

Haha I love this. Brad is so funny.

Kristin said...

Yes! It's about time, Brad, Plans is one of the best albums ever.

Ellie said...

A P.S to your comment on my blog...no I did not meet my future husband, buuuuut, he did ask me out for this weekend! That exclamation point is not one of excitement, but one of dread. Nice guy, just not for me. Really, truly, someone help me. :(

Sara and Wade Jacobsen said...

I just found your blog on Kristi's. I just needed to tell you that I think you are hilarious.

Sara Nixon Jacobsen

Nicole said...

I love this. I love that it was a secret. So funny