Thursday, June 16, 2011

SO CAN DANCE WK. 1 - TOP 20


So here are the blogging recap rules according to me. I'm planning on posting Thursday night after the results so I don't have to do two posts - yes that's right, I'm lazy. I'll recap Wednesday's dances and then comment on the elimination.

Apparently Kat didn't have time to get dressed this morning after spending all night in da club. Child looks a hot mess. Funny how Brad's first comment was, "wow Kat looks great." Uh huh, great for 4am.

Hooray! Karen is one of my all time favorite fictional characters ever. She is welcome anywhere I am watching.


Let's get this party started!

STRIPPER PANTS & CRAZY EYES - AFRO JAZZ

So Stripper Pants wants to be pussycat doll? Shocker. Why is she perpetuating my stereotype of her? Doesn't she know she's not winning me over? That's the sole purpose of this show, right? She gets to be partners with Crazy Eyes, who is actually one of my preliminary favorites. Did you hear him say he thought he was white when he was younger - that is fantastic. Ahh. What to do? I don't want to have to start cheering for Stripper Pants! This is exactly like Sophie's Choice.

Their dance was fine. I really liked the choreography but it felt like they were off the (insanely fast) beat several times and Crazy Eyes had some problems with the lifts. But this is week one so they are probably exhausted out of their mind. So it was okay, considering.

RICO SUAVE & SISTER/SISTER - CONTEMPORARY

She likes purple. And he kind of speaks Spanish. That was informative, but what great partnership wasn't formed in ambiguity?

Their dance was great. Of course this is right on their styles and Travis did the choreo so of course it's going to look beautiful. The judges didn't think they had chemistry but I felt it... I don't know why they were doggin on his emoting, I thought he was right on. Whatev. Sister/Sister got so much air time in the audition episodes that I don't think this couple is going anywhere any time soon.

NAPOLEON & SILENCE OF THE LAMBS - BROADWAY

He's an 18-year-old who describes himself as someone who likes to "make weird noises," oh brother. And she says she's shy. Okay this should be interesting.

I loved this Broadway number! How fun! So Can Dance somehow butchers a lot of Broadway. Maybe it's the disconnect between the fact that Broadway dancers should also be singing. But for some reason I think a lot of their Broadway numbers are boring. But I thought this was great. What are the odds that little Napoleon randomly received Broadway? Um. None. None at all.


LIL NEPOTIZ & JEGGINGS! - LYRICAL HIP HOP

How fantastic is it that Lil Nepotiz and little Head are now partners? Wait no. It's the OTHER guy with a little head - Jeggings! I swear I'm not racist, they just both had small heads. Moving on, has there ever been another contestant more thrilled to be on this show than Lil Nepotiz? I think her face is going to be sore from smiling so much.

They totally lucked out with the Legion choreo guy. This guy is so rad - he's the new Tabitha & Napoleon and his choreo did not disappoint. This was my favorite of the night so far. It reminded me of the awesomeness of Tab & Nap three seasons ago. You guys know I'm a sucker for well executed dancing in sync and there was heaps of it in this routine - amazing. I do agree with the judges one critique about their happy facial expressions, it was a little distracting. Although I don't think it's physically possible for Lil Nepotiz to stop smiling. Hopefully she gets happy pieces from here on out.


VENEERS & LITTLE HEAD - JAZZ

This is for sure Little Head. And "10 across the board," is my saying of the week. With jazz hands. Little Head is out this week with an injury so Veneers gets to dance with Robert. Mamacinta! Has there ever been a more attractive partnership on this show? My oh my. 10 across the board.

That was a pretty awesome routine. Sonja doesn't usually disappoint - she totally had me at the synchronized leaps.


CURLY SUE & WOO GUY - JIVE

There are exactly 12 years between this couple. Woo indeed. It kind of creeped me out when he called her a "sex kitten." But I guess it's better than when Nigel calls people "sex kitten." We'll have to see about this one.

I like the choreo. But as soon as Curly Sue's earring fell off I was very distracted by the fact that she was distracted about only wearing one earring. I liked him a lot, but she seemed a little hesitant.

(Sidenote: Is Jive a form of Latin? Their card said Latin but then they did a Jive routine. Confused.)


SAUCY McGEE & WADIJONES - JAZZ

Wadijones totally felt her up in week one! Bold.

That was an exciting routine. They lucked out with great choreo, great music, great lighting. I bet Stripper Pants is pretty jealous. Wadijones stood out for me, I paid a lot more attention to him than her.

And welcome back Mary - "Padora's" box. The drunk talk makes an early appearance this season.

BOY HAIR & MOWGLI - CONTEMPORARY

It's official, I like Boy Hair. Her dream is be on Ellen! Love it. I'm so glad they're partners. They were probably my two favorites after last week.

I wasn't over the moon about this routine like the judges ("One with the Universe."? Really? Mary, really?), but I liked it.

ASHLEYBANKS & PART DEUX

I love how she made fun of him for being dramatic. So funny. She's climbing my list.

The best part of their routine was the song. It was okay, but Ashleybanks totally out danced him. I'm glad he explained that the choreo was foreign to him because until then Part Deux was looking a bit out of sorts for being a supposed hip-hopper.


ALLY McBEAL & SOFT SHOE

What is that gold bedazzled unitard thing that she is wearing in the intro? What? Anyway. And either Nick has A LOT of personality or absolutely none. Step it up brother!

They complimented their routine a lot because Nick kept up with the "world champion." Let's get real this was probably the easiest routine she has ever done. But also, good job Nick. So many people have totally lost it in this dance so way to go Soft Shoe. All I can say is that I CAN NOT WAIT until Ally McBeal does hip hop. CAN NOT WAIT.


IN THE BOTTOM

  • Stripper Pants & Crazy Eyes
  • Napoleon & Silence of the Lambs
  • Curly Sue & Woo Guy
  • Little Head (Because he was injured - injured bad)

Can I just point out that I'm awesome. My two least favorite routines (Stripper Pants & Crazy Eyes, Curly Sue & Woo Guy) and one of my least favorite contestants (Napoleon) were all in the bottom. But I must say that Napoleon & Silence of the Lambs didn't deserve to be in the bottom Their routine was awesome. And I don't know how fair or unfair it is to judge someone injured. It feels like they should have some hard fast rules that they stick to - because it really feels like they make them up according to each dancer - which seems unjust. But we've long since established that So Can Dance is nothing if not unreliably reliable. What? Exactly.

So who did they kick off? No one. Happy Thursday. Two couples are goners next week though. Tune in to see Stripper Pants make her exit (that's my prediction - fingers crossed!).


***it was probably annoying that I kept saying "choreo" instead of spelling it out all the way, but it was annoying typing it out every time so we'll all just have to get over it

No comments: