Wednesday, June 22, 2011

FINLEY'S FIRST BIRTHDAY





So I swore that I wouldn't throw Finley a first birthday party. In fact I secretly make fun of people who have parties for tiny humans who have no idea what's going on. But let's get real. The party was more for me than anyone. How often do I get to socialize with adults outside of Brad and church? Um. Never. And besides Finley's birthday should be celebrated by me anyway, I think I did the majority of the work on her birth day. I bet good moms don't say things like that. Oh well. So not only did I throw a one-year-old a birthday party (sin!) I might have gone a little over board (double sin!). Have you seen all the amazing inspiration going around on the party blogs? It's hard not to go over the top. Here's my pinterest board that links everything that I used for inspiration.

I decided to do an ice cream party and stick to a pink/yellow/grey theme. I also added some chicken salad sandwiches and fruit kabobs because I was worried there might be a sugar overload of epic proportions and our apartment is not that big. Speaking of which, we originally invited quite a few families and we would have loved to have everyone but we lucked out when only half could make it. We were pretty packed as is - there wouldn't have even been wiggle room!

People were nice enough to bring presents and she actually had a good time opening them. One of them was a pink grocery cart which she now uses as her walker all over the house since she refuses to walk on her own. She loves it!


We were especially happy that the Corless family could make it since they are moving to Texas next week! They were our first friends when we moved here so we are so sad to see them go!

I think the ice cream was a hit, especially with the kids. It was fun to see them go back for 2nd and 3rds, especially since I wasn't in charge of them when the sugar crash hit a few hours later.

Finley tasted marshmallows for the first time and she liked them for a bit. I wish I could say this was the first time she had ice cream, but alas no. She's her mama's child so of course she LOVES it.

She was showing off strolling around the room and was so happy with the applause. That child loves the attention!

You only get to throw a first birthday party for your first child once so I'm happy we decided to do it. I had a lot of fun putting it together and Brad had a medium amount of fun being ordered around by me when we were setting up. He was a huge help - I could not have pulled it off without him. Actually he made the chicken salad sandwiches and they were a big hit. The only problem now is that we have to throw a first birthday for every child. Darn.


**If you are in the area please feel free to stop by for an ice cream sundae any time. We literally have enough to throw another 4 parties. Seriously. Come take it away. Ice cream and I are very fond of one another. I will eat it all if someone doesn't stop me.

2 comments:

ashley said...

I love it! Everything is so so cute. Did you do the invitations? They're perfect!! Finley looks like she had a great time too. She's so cute, I just want to squeeze her!

Joanna said...

Visiting via spearmint baby...
This is just an adorable party and your daughter is too cute! Looks like fun was had by all!
I'll definitely be throwing our little bean a first birthday party, whether he likes it or not. I wouldn't miss out of the decorating and crafting for anything!