Friday, May 20, 2011

TOUR OF ALTON: ROBERT WADLOW

As our countdown of time left in Alton begins I want to start a regular posting where I feature all the quirky things about Alton. I might do this weekly or monthly or not again. You never know! But you can't start talking about Alton without mentioning their "gentle giant." In fact I can't believe we've lived here for three years and this is my first post on him.


Just down the street from our house is a statue of Alton's most famous celebrity, Robert Wadlow. He is the tallest man in history for which there is irrefutable evidence and this statue is an accurate life size replica. 8 feet, 11.1 inches. Brad and I have this joke that at any given time there is ALWAYS someone at Robert Wadlow. Never more than four or five people, mind you, but an endless stream at all times. Finley and I pass it everyday on our walk and we are rarely alone. Rain or shine he always has company.

Here is a list of questions I have for Mr. Wadlow:
- How do you use public restrooms?
- Do you have to sit down to shower?
- Do you get sick of people asking you your height?
- Are you extra conscientious of a clean nose?
- Have you ever played basketball with a group of average sized people for fun?

Alton does love this claim to fame and I have to say that it's on my list of quirky things I may miss when we move.


2 comments:

David and Jana said...

he is one of our favorites to wlk to also, but we don't go on a regular basis. great post!

Scott said...

Robert looks like he could boot little Finley over the moon!