Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Here we go...

I tried all day yesterday not do a political post, but I just can't help myself.

I woke up this morning with an actual sense of fear and dread. Under President Obama Brad and I should flourish since we will be some of the poorest people in America. However, when we begin to pay this off in ten years and actually start making money after YEARS of hard work, we will see what kind of consequences Obama's tax plan will bring. The thing is a lot of the current liberal young voters will begin to see the effect of that too and hopefully we'll be at a point to make another "Change", one that actually makes sense. Brad and I are all for spreading the wealth around, but on our own terms. I refuse to give more of my money to a government that will tie 97% of it up in red tape and bureaucracy. I would prefer to set up a scholarship program or give money to a trade school that helps those underprivileged learn useful skills. To anywhere where the contribution will actually be put to a good use that Brad and I support. Handing over the responsibility of "spreading the wealth around" to the government is ridiculous.

At the end of the day I can definitely appreciate the historical significance of this, but I'm afraid that people voted for a race and not an ideology. Wouldn't it make more strides for racism if we found ourselves treating this victory as if any other person had won? This doesn't feel like a step forward, this feels like a huge spotlight on the fact that race is still an issue.

I will say that it's nice to have a president that can deliver a good speech again. This was my favorite line from last night (kudos to Obama's writer).

"So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other."

If Obama actually lives up to this statement I will have nothing but applause for him at the end of four or eight years. For now, I'm a skeptic. If his campaign did anything it did not promote a sense of working harder but of class animosity.

What I'm most anxious about is the media's love fest over Obama to continue and for every mistake Obama makes to be blamed on the Bush administration. Oh, this is going to be good! Obama will be untouchable even when he disarms our military and allows a woman to kill her own child eight months into her pregnancy.

I would love to feel the joy and optimism that so many Americans are feeling today; however, Obama has a long way to go in convincing me. I will gladly praise Obama when he proves me wrong. Until then put me down as a cynic.

2 comments:

ashley said...

Political Bridget! Love it. Sam saw a woman on the news who said she was excited Obama was elected b/c now she won't have to worry about paying her rent. I just don't like the idea that people are "finally proud" of our country or that he is our "last hope". When did our country become so hopeless? Also, I don't think he alone can "unite" our country. I believe that for the last 8 years half the country CHOSE not to be united. President Bush alone did not divide our country. I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people when aren't met. Alas, he is our new President and I will support him. I completely respect that office and the great responsibility and pressure that must come along with it.

ashley said...

I left out a word (typing on my phone). When EXPECTATIONS aren't met.