Tuesday, February 12, 2008

give kids a smile

For the past six months I have been on the planning committee for the Give Kids A Smile event. It's an annual one day event where dentists, hygienist and general volunteers get together and offer free dental care to underprivileged children from local charter 1 schools. The children are chosen by social workers and school counselors who have recognized that they need assistance. Here in Utah our event takes place at three locations and helps between 200 - 250 kids with over $40,000 in donated supplies. Before you think I did this out of the goodness of my heart, the company I work for is actually their major sponsor and a co-worker and I were given the assignment to be the company representatives on the committee. Let me tell you, I don't think I could have asked for a better assignment. Getting paid to plan a charity event was pretty much the best of both worlds. Because of my PR degree they thought I would be a natural fit for doing all the PR work for the event. Which in theory makes sense except that I haven't done a lot of PR outside of the classroom. So since all the PR fell squarely on my shoulders I was under a little bit of stress to say the least. In the end, we made in on the channel 5 news, we had a Sunday article in the Deseret Morning News and the new Salt Lake City mayor showed up and took a tour of the event. All in all the event went better than anticipated and seeing how many children the event helped was so worth all the months of planning. I even convinced Brad to volunteer because we hope that after dental school we can be a part of events like this. I went home that night and Brad and I both fell asleep at 7 PM and didn't wake up until 9:30 AM the next morning! It was great to be a part of, but I am definately glad that all the anxiety is over.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

wow, you're like a grown-up. also, remember that time we fell asleep at 7 in Paris?

Kristen Miner said...

Amen sister!