Thursday, November 8, 2007

help!

Okay, so I know the intention of the blog isn't normally to generate discussion or solicit feedback but I am desperate! I (Bridget) have been assigned the calling of running the Relief Society book club... yeah this produces both bad and good feelings in me... but that's a whole other blog post all together. What I really need help with is coming up with book ideas.

This is the list I have so far, and I just need some suggestions on appropriate/interesting books. If this were my own independent book club I could come up with a million books to read but I'm riding the fine line here of pleasing everyone and no one at the same time.

In summary: can anyone see of any of these books being possibly inappropriate and also any other suggestions? I'm looking for 4 more books to add to the list knowing that half of them will probably be cut.

Life of Pi- Yann Martel
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Brontë
Man’s Search for Meaning- Viktor Frankl
Rebecca- Daphne du Maurier
The Secret Life of Bees- Sue Monk Kidd
Little Women- Louisa May Alcott
Girl in Hyacinth Blue- Susan Vreeland
My Name is Asher Lev- Chaim Potok
1776- David McCullough
Orson Scott Card- Enchantment
A Girl Named Zippy- Haven Kimmel
Peace Like a River- Leif Enger
These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine- Nancey E Turner
Crow Lake- Mary Lawson

1776: I'm worried about this one because it's a little dense and some might not be in to this genre.

I haven't read: The Secret Life of Bees, but it came highly recommended by another book clubber I talked to.

Rebecca is also really long and talks about adultery... but she is portrayed as the evil character and the adultery is never romanticized or condoned.

mmmmm.... this might all be a lost cause. HELP!

5 comments:

ashley said...

I haven't read a lot of them, but it sounds good to me! How about a classic Jane Austen? Women love her.

p.s. you would put Rebecca and Little Women on there

Ellie said...

How about 'Night' by Elie Weisel? I enjoy holocaust stories (i'm weird I know),but I believe its relatively clean and a good story :)

bradget said...

Okay I just read a reveiw that mentioned the Time Traveller's Wife has explicit sex scenes and swearing... so that one is out. blah.

jenny said...

Dangi! I was going to say Little Women.

Karen said...

This is a little late, since you've already started, but I've read a few on your list. Definitely don't do Time Traveler's Wife. It's not for the typical RS sister! Peace like a River is good. Man's Search for Meaning is a great book for discussion, The Secret Life of Bees is totally a women's book, and very good. I'd add Kite Runner to your list. It's great. I'm reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See right now. I'll let you know how it is. So far so good.

So how did your first meeting go???