Monday, April 30, 2012

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY


About three months ago I posted a sneak peak of the quilt I was making for Baby Dos. Well I finished it like the day after that post but never got around to the blogging portion. Good story, I know. Anyway. Since then I've kind of been on a sewing kick and I feel like you honestly can't have too many blankets. Baby Dos will never be able to claim she was shafted in the new baby stuff department. For the record I only sewed one blanket for Finley.

*You can tell how long ago I finished these quilts, they all have massive creases in them from being stored up and away from Finley so she doesn't claim them as her own. So I apologize for the wrinkly pictures.

For the diagonal stripe blanket I wanted to try out a Self Binding Blanket. It was really nice to complete a project without any hand sewing, but it kind of felt like cheating. I'm not sure why. I used the tutorials found on this amazing quilting blog. Start to finish this took me about 2 hours, but it will definitely go faster the next time now that I understand the entire concept and I don't have to look at the directions every 3 seconds.



Since I'm having another summer baby I understand that having a thin blanket is a must. However, I still felt like this munchkin would appreciate something cozy. So I made this quilt with minky baking but no batting. It's the perfect weight for snuggling in an air conditioned house - outside in the Alabama summer humidity not so much. For this blanket I wanted to try doing rounded corners (I'm never doing square corners again) and making my own bias binding tape. The binding was a learning experience. It's a lot of work, but it's a nice option to get exactly what you want.


This last quilt is the official quilt of Baby Dos. This is more of a toddler size quilt (Finley is just now sleeping with the one I made her) but I wanted it to last into toddlerhood. It has a minky back and satin binding and it's diagonally machine quilted. I love it. Even Finley keeps trying to take it for her own. I hope she learns to like hers a little more because it will only be a matter of time before Baby Dos will not stand for getting her blanket stolen by her big sister.




So TA-DA that is my super exciting explanation of the blankets I've sewn lately! Sorry. Sewing is so soothing for me and it has helped relieve the extra stress of this upheaval in our lives. Which is nice since I can't really do much nesting. I have some burp cloths to sew together and some onesies to redo and I'm all set in the baby crafting department. Which is nice since it looks like this baby will be born on or before June 1st. By the way - have I mentioned we are having this baby in Illinois before we move? Yep, my almost worst nightmare is happening. I'm moving to a brand new state and house with a 6 day old baby. Yikes.

2 comments:

Kate said...

These look great! I'm so jealous! And don't worry about the move...you'll be fine! We moved coast to coast when Scott was just 19 days old. I'm seriously glad he was still a sleepy newborn....made things so much easier!

Kjell Crowe said...

can you make RYU one???? I'd totally pay you!!!