Wednesday, October 27, 2010

FINLEY'S LULLABIES


So it turns out I'm one of those crazy singing moms. We have a song for waking up, eating, bathing, tummy time, diaper changing... it's ridiculous. In a way that I actually love. It's only natural then that Finley seems to enjoy music even more when performed by actual professionals. I read that if you want your children to enjoy the music you listen to you should expose them to it early on - I'm guessing that's why I like Fleetwood Mac and Steven Winwood. So I have a specific play list that we listen to regularly when napping or it's time to calm down ect. I'm hoping she fondly remembers these songs someday - and let's be honest, so she'll have a decent taste in music. And by "decent" I mean the exact same taste as me.

This is the list that I've slowly added to since her birth which will probably keep growing.

The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby
Billy Joel - She's Got a Way
Dixie Chicks - Godspeed
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Dave Matthews - Baby
Adele - Hometown Glory
The Format - On Your Porch
Alexi Murdoch - Orange Sky
Ingrid Michaelson - Highway
Florence + The Machine - Cosmic Love
Joe Cocker - Bye Bye Blackbird
Traffic Control - Running Out of Time
Pink - Glitter In The Air
Sara Bareilles - Stormy
Sia - Breathe Me
The Weepies - Can't Go Back Now
Sufjan Stevens - For The Widows
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson - Winter Song
Phoenix Foundation - Buffalo
Azure Ray - Sleep

I want to make a series of CDs for her and put them with her keepsakes as another reminder of her babyhood. And I'm guessing these songs will be a memory trigger for me as well since they'll be linked to all the blurred days of early motherhood.


* Confession #1, we love dancing to Justin Bieber's "Baby," and Demi Lovato's "Catch Me."

** Confession #2, I sometimes sing "California Gurls" to her. It's not my fault that it's ALWAYS stuck in my head. Don't worry, I edit it so it's baby appropriate. I just hope I haven't done any lasting damage.

2 comments:

bra-bras-life said...

I was not aware of the Justin Bieber dance-a-thon and I'm not pleased :(

Brad

ashley said...

Will you make ME a cd of those songs?? Parker loves "Baby" too! We'll have to have a dance party (see email I'm about to send you)