Wednesday, June 25, 2008

anne of awesomeness

Have you ever had a book you loved? Like love loved? I must have read Anne of Green Gables 12 times in sixth grade alone. I felt so grown up for reading a book that contained words like "capricious" and "providential". Every time I read it I agonize over Anne's stubbornness towards the dashing Gilbert (!) and almost cry when Matthew secretively buys Anne a dress with puffed sleeves. Inevitably, each time I finish reading it I am wholly convinced that Prince Edward Island is the most beautiful place on earth and then curse the day I wasn't born a Canadian orphan at the turn of the century. I remember once when I was ten I told my mother that when I grew up I wanted to name my first daughter "Maud" after the author. Can you imagine? Needless to say, she laughed and assured me I would most likely change my mind (don't worry, I did).

Sadly, after twenty years of abuse I think my first copy has earned a retirement.


I am almost finished reading it for the millionth time and while doing so I literally have to hold the book together so it doesn't fall apart in my hands. I have a hair band wrapped around it to prevent the book from loosing its pages in between reading. My hard cover copy just isn't the same so I'm sad to see this get put forever in my cedar chest... it's like the end of era.