Monday, May 28, 2012

WHY I HAVE A SOFT SPOT FOR WENDY WILLIAMS


 Have you ever seen the Wendy Williams show? If you think it's tacky and crude. Then you are 100% correct. But here's the deal - Wendy and I go way back to summer of 2010 when I was in labor with Finley. For whatever reason, while I was in the throws of trying to push out a baby (we've all seen Finley's large noggin, it wasn't an easy delivery), the TV was on in my room. I think we had turned it on to relax after I was given my epidural not knowing it would be time to push only 45 minutes later. So the TV was just playing barely audible in the background when I looked over in my crazed state to see the Wendy Williams show begin. At this point in my life I had never seen an episode but I was certain I did not want my daughter being born during its theme song. So I begged Brad, "Can you turn off the TV, or at least turn it to Ellen?" HA! Labor apparently makes you ridiculous. I mean Ellen is awesome, but come on, the TV clearly didn't need to be on. He quickly turned it off and we went back to the matter of birthing a baby.

For a really long time I resented the fact that I have this vivid memory of the Wendy Williams show playing in the background of Finley's delivery. But now I think it's totally hilarious. Of all the things I've remembered and/or forgotten my mind has chosen to forever link giving birth with Wendy Williams. Even today I'm not an avid watcher, but whenever her theme song comes on and she does her pop culture news roundup I get a little nostalgic. I laugh whenever people describe their birthing experience as ethereal and zen with candles and a thousand monks chanting them through their delivery. Not because I don't respect that birth plan - power on woman - but with Baby Dos if Wendy Williams happens to be playing in the background again I might just keep it on this time.

Okay probably not. I plan on actually having music playing this time. Specifically this song on repeat:


Please don't tell me if there is some weirdo meaning behind the lyrics. Although I guess at this point that would be appropriate.

No comments: