Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley

I suppose it's the selfishness in me but I am really going to miss President Hinckley. I completely agree that this was his time and he is now enjoying the grandest of reunions with his wife, but I'm really going to miss him waving that cane whenever he entered and exited the Conference Center.

I took a religion class at BYU studying the lives of LDS prophets since 1901 and we spent about half the semester on Gordon B. Hinckley. As part of the class I had to read Go Forward With Faith (President Hinckley's biography) and I absolutely loved every page. It contains the most amazing stories and renewed my faith in not only President Hinckley but in the positions of modern day Prophets and Apostles. I'm sad he's gone but I'm also really excited for the church and the amazing groundwork that President Hinckley has put in to place for the coming years.

So I was reading what the national newspapers had to say about President Hinckley's death because I am amused at the way they word things and some of the factual errors they get wrong. The most interesting is that the Associated Press (it's the major source that many everyday newspapers get their articles from) is reporting that President Hinckley was the longest serving President of the church. Excuse me? Brigham Young, 29 years? Heber J. Grant 27 years? I checked on both lds.org and wikipedia to see how easy that information was to find and it took me maybe 2 minutes... maybe they got confused because he's the longest serving apostle (I don't even know if that is true)? Reporters are always good for a laugh when it comes to reporting on the church :)

No comments: